Prepare the I/O pins file
- A template Excel network file is available on the ePHASORSIM Blockset page in the MATLAB user help.
- In order to configure the Excel file for PSS/e input files, refer to PSSe Excel File in this user guide. Only incoming and outgoing pins must be specified: no network data is required in the Excel input file.
- Save the Excel file in an empty folder in an intuitive location, like 'C:\OPAL-RT\ePHASORSIM' or in your active default project folder.
- You will use this folder and path throughout this procedure; this is why we recommend an intuitive and/or default location.
Note: The Pins page is used to create measurement probes (outgoing pin) and control signals (incoming pins) to the system. To create the incoming and outgoing pins, the user needs to know the name of each component.
- Only PSS/e Ver. 32 RAW format (*.raw) is compatible with ePHASORSIM. Save the RAW file in the aforementioned folder.
- The PSS/e DYR file (*.dyr) should be saved in the same folder.
Prepare the Simulink model
- Change the MATLAB working directory to the previously created folder.
- Open the Simulink Library.
- Select RT-LAB/ePHASORSIM.
- Drag the Solver block into a new Simulink model.
- Save this model in the previously created directory.
- Open the mask and do the following steps.
Network data tab
- Select PSS/e Ver. 32 as the Input file format.
- Check Use UDB to import data using UDB or uncheck to use MATLAB. Note that this feature is not available yet with FMU.
- Use Select button or insert the name of the:
- Excel file containing the pins in the I/O pins file field.
- RAW file in the PSS/e RAW file field.
- DYR file in the PSS/e DYR file field.
- Check Use built-in models.
- Check Refresh netlist only when simulation starts.
- If Use built-in models in Network data tab is unchecked, enter the FMU folder name in the FMU component field (the default is the empty string).
- Make sure Use UDB in Network data tab is unchecked to use FMU as this feature is not supported with FMU yet.
Simulation settings tab
- Specify a Time-step (The default value is 10 ms).
- select the Initialization method from the drop-down menu,
- enter the Power mismatch (max p.u.) tolerance for the power-flow calculation (The default value is 1e-8).
- enter the Max number of NR iterations (The default value is 100).
- clicking Execute or Execute and export report runs the power-flow. Only the latter writes the power-flow results in CSV format.
- Dynamic simulations:
- when Start from Power-flow is checked, power-flow is executed before dynamic simulation.
- enter the Number of partitions to be used for the network solution (The default value is 1).
- clicking Export admittance matrix writes the admittance matrix in CSV format.
- check Optimize number of threads (Windows only).
- Click OK. The ePHASORSIM Solver block is redrawn using the pins from the Excel file. The network data may also be converted to OPAL format, depending on the configuration of the Refresh netlist option in the Network data tab.
- Connect Simulink sources and sinks (scopes, displays) to the input/output pins on ePHASORSIMs' Solver block.
- Ensure the simulation is set to use a fixed time-step (under Simulation/Model Configuration parameters/Solver), and that the time-step is consistent with that specified in the Simulation settings tab.
- Once the Solver mask and Simulink model are configured, run the model to verify a reasonable value appears on the scopes.
- The messages below are printed in the MATLAB Command Window.
- Save your model.