- The lower section of the chassis contains a powerful target computer that can be added to a network of simulators or can be used standalone. It is used to run simulations built with OPAL-RT’s RT-LAB or HYPERSIM software simulation platform and includes the following features:
- MicroATX motherboard
- OPAL-RTLinux real-time operating system
- AMD™ Ryzen™ 6 cores, 3.8 GHz CPU
- 16 GB of DRAM
- 256 GB SSD disk
- 2 free PCIe slots
- Standard computer ports. See section OP4610XG Simulator Specifications for details.
- The upper section contains the high-speed FPGA and the I/O modules with conditioning for up to 128 I/Os. It includes:
- A Xilinx® Kintex®-7 FPGA programmable from the target computer via PCIe. The FPGA is used to execute models designed with the OPAL-RT RT-XSG toolbox, manage the I/O lines and execute embedded FPGA-based simulations. It exchanges data with the real-time simulations running on the target computer CPUs via the PCIe link, an 8-slot flat carrier board capable of connecting any combination of up to 4 digital or analog conditioning modules.
- Each module controls 16 or 32 I/O analog or digital channels, for a total of up to 128 channels.
- 4 SFP ports for high-speed communication with other FPGA-based systems or with external devices. The standard communication protocols available with the OP4610XG are based on Xilinx Aurora (1 to 5 Gbps). Other protocols, such as the Gigabit Ethernet, can also be implemented.
- These SFP ports can be used to expand the simulator I/O capability using OPAL-RT’s Multi-System Expansion Multi-System Expansion link (MuSE): each port can be connected to one OPAL-RT remote I/O unit (OP4520, OP5607, OP5650, OP5705-IO, OP5707-IO), effectively increasing the simulator I/O capability to a maximum of 1024 channels.
- SFP ports not used for MuSE remain compatible with the legacy Generic Aurora link. The MuSE link is compatible with OPAL-RT boards' I/O management architecture.
|I/O Module||Desciption (model number)||I/O module quick specifications|
|I/O Module 1||16 Analog Output (OP5330-3)||16 channels analog output, 1 MS/s (16 channels) or 2 MS/s (8 channels), 16-bit resolution, 15 mA, ±16 V|
|I/O Module 2||Same as above||Same as above|
|I/O Module 3||16 Analog Input (OP5342)||16 channels analog input, 2 MS/s, 16-bit resolution, 500 ns, ±20 V|
|I/O Module 4||32 Digital I/O (OP5369)||32 channels high range digital input output, Digital out: 50 mA per channel, 5-24 V push pull FET, Digital in: 0-30 V, DIO selectable per group of 8 channels, 32 static digital.|
The OP4610XG offers two types of synchronization, either LVDS or fiber-optic, making it easier to synchronize with any OPAL-RT device.